page-template-default,page,page-id-28404,qode-social-login-1.1.3,qode-restaurant-1.1.1,stockholm-core-2.3,select-child-theme-ver-1.1,select-theme-ver-8.9,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,paspartu_enabled,menu-animation-underline,fs-menu-animation-underline,header_top_hide_on_mobile,,qode_grid_1300,qode_menu_center,qode-mobile-logo-set,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.6.0,vc_responsive

Preparing for your stay

Who can help me with relocation services?

The LMU Gateway Service for international scholars is your first point of contact for questions regarding relocation, such as visas, registration, housing and so on. This video from LMU Gateway Service will give you an overview of the preparations for your stay in Munich. To contact LMU Gateway, please fill in the registration form.

What kind of visa do I need?

EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) country, you do not need a visa or permit to enter Germany. You need only a valid passport to enter and reside here. However, you will still have to register your residence and obtain a residence permit (the latter only applies if you are staying longer than three months).



If you are coming from outside the European Union, you will need a visa to enter Germany. For more information, please consult the German Foreign Office and/or inform yourself directly at the German Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence as requirements may differ from country to country. Applications for visas may take several months to process. You should therefore submit your application in good time.


If you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea or the United States of America you can apply for your residence permit after entering Germany (i.e. without first applying for a visa).


However, we strongly recommend that fellows who can enter without a visa apply for one anyway because applying for a residence title in Munich takes a very long time. Although a certificate is issued as soon as the application is submitted, re-entry to Germany can still be prevented without a visa in advance.

Will the Centre help me with my visa application?

Most fellows will have to apply for a visa in their home countries. We can provide you with an invitation/confirmation letter or hosting agreement on request to submit to the German embassy/consulate. For such documents, please contact our managing director, Laura Ritter.


Please ask the German embassy or consulate in your home country about how to enter Germany legally and about how to obtain a multiple re-entry visa for yourself and any family members who might be accompanying you. Any person in possession of a German visa and valid travel documents is permitted to move freely in the Schengen area for up to three months in any six-month period.


We are aware that obtaining visas and residency permits for Germany is an involved, often bureaucratic and sometimes frustrating process. Nonetheless, all fellows are responsible for securing their own legal status in Germany. If you should encounter obstacles, please let us know, and we will help to the extent that our time and resources allow.

What should I consider when looking for accommodation?

Munich is one of the most attractive and therefore most expensive cities in Germany with rental prices ranging from 15-23 € per m² for unfurnished flats. The housing market is very dynamic. Flats do not remain vacant for long.


Typically, the rental price will be described as either cold rent (Kaltmiete) or warm rent (Warmmiete). The difference between these two is that the Kaltmiete typically does not include operating or utility costs (Nebenkosten). Utility costs generally include heating, water, sewage and refuse collection charges. Electricity and telecommunication costs are not usually included in the Warmmiete, and these services must be arranged by the tenant separately. Another part of the rental agreement is the deposit (Kaution), which the tenant pays to the landlord when moving in. This typically amounts to two or three months’ cold rent and will be returned to the tenant at the end of the rental period if the accommodation is left undamaged.


Arrival during Oktoberfest: It is practically impossible to find a short-term accommodation during Oktoberfest (mid-September — early October). Please be aware that rooms are booked for this time of the year well in advance.

Can the Centre’s staff assist me in finding housing?

The Centre has limited housing available for visiting fellows, the cost of which is borne by the fellows. If you are interested, please contact our fellow liaison, Veronika Proske. Once our contingent is booked, further incoming fellows will have to make their own housing arrangements. The LMU Gateway Accommodation Service can also help you find accommodation.

Where to search for accommodation?

It’s not easy to find a place to live in Munich, but not impossible! There are several ways to find an apartment:


Reals estate portals:


Real estate agents are generally the most expensive way to find housing. They typically charge a fee of two months’ rent.


Real estate sections of regional newspapers:


Newspaper advertisements — some newspapers publish ads for vacant flats twice a week. Most of them publish listings online as well, although these may not be the same as in the actual newspaper. We highly recommend posting a search ad in local newspapers as well as online. Please note that fees apply.


Rental Agencies:


Accommodation agencies can help find short-term accommodation, often furnished. If the agencies succeed in finding suitable accommodation, they charge a one-time fee determined by the service provider, which is usually based on the length of your stay.


Other online rental platforms:


Online search portals are the most commonly used resource to find a flat. Most of these portals enable potential landlords and real estate agents to contact you based on your profile.